52 Week Money Challenge: Reasons To Shop At The Farmer’s Market
It’s another week in the 52 week challenge- week 24! How are you doing so far?
If you need help with weekly reminders, then sign up for our 52 week challenge newsletter!
Here’s this week’s money savings tip: Reasons To Shop At The Farmer’s Market
Farmer’s Markets are not only a fun, relaxing activity you can do with your family, but you can really save a lot of money by shopping at them! Here are some reasons to shop Farmer’s Markets and how they will save you money! Here in my city, I like to shop at Horrock’s Farm Market. I love their prices on produce. Plus you can score free coffee/tea while shopping and FREE Wine Tasting. We have a new one in town called Fresh Thyme and I am loving all of their produce deals!
You can get organic and local produce for the same or less cost than factory farmed products in stores. This is probably one of the best ways you can save money at farmer’s markets! If you are in the market for organic produce or grass fed/free range meat, this is your best bet for getting it at a low price. Since there is usually little overhead with smaller farmers and the food does not have to be transported far, farmers really can sell at very good rates.
Farmer’s markets allow you to negotiate on price. Often, since you will most likely be dealing with the owner of the farm first hand at the market, he or she may be willing to strike deals with you. This is often best done on days where the market maybe was less busy such as cloudy or rainy days or even towards the end of the day when the farmer is just trying to sell as much as he can so he can save himself form having to pack it up and take it back with him.
Farmer’s markets set up a really competitive market place and often you will find venders that have similar items for sale “battling” for the lowest price or they are very close in price to each other. Keep in mind that most food sold at the market is locally grown and/ or produced, so you could get a really great deal on some very fresh goods for way less than you would pay for it in the store. Also, many of these smaller farmers do not have the money to get USDA certified as being organic so they may in fact grow organically but just not have the official label.
What are some of your favorite things to buy at the farmer’s market? I would love to hear about your favorite local finds in the comments!
It’s not too late to join the 52 Week Money Challenge.
Why should You join the 52 week money savings challenge?
Most families are on the constant look out for ways to save more money. This challenge is easy and doesn’t require you to do a lot each week. It starts out with just saving a $1 on the first week. Or, if you’re doing the challenge in reverse, then $52 bucks.
It’s an easy way to save money and it does work if you apply just a little self-discipline and you are determined to save money. And having a goal is a good way reach your saving objective. Below are a few saving goal:
- You can use the money you saved to pay for your Christmas at the end of the year.
- Go on a vacation
- Jump-start a college fund
- Pay off debt
- Buy a car
- This could be your first time actually saving money in a bank account
The reasons for saving extra money are endless!But the key is getting started!
People tend to do better when faced with a challenge (of any kind).
- You will receive a weekly email reminder telling you to make your deposit into the bank or jar
- You will also receive a weekly savings tip on a way that you can save that week.
- You will receive inspiring stories and ways to save money each week!
- Many people and blogs start out doing this challenge within their communities. But by March, most have fallen off the band wagon. As you can see,by just looking at our 52 weekly challenge archive, you can see that we kept up with it each week.
- I’ve personally and successfully completed this money saving challenge two years in a row! I am doing this challenge right along with you and to encourage you along the way. And if you need to tweak it to fit your families needs, save more , etc. then I am here to help you with that too!
- You can find out more about the 52 Week Challenge HERE
So, let’s get started! Sign up today to start receiving the 52 week money saving challenge newsletter!